For the most part, the travel dates of those who own or charter yachts are dictated by the seasons. In response to the way in which weather conditions vary over the course of each year, yachting enthusiasts have established certain patterns of behaviour, which are repeated annually. The summer months are most often spent cruising the Mediterranean, before heading to the Caribbean or South East Asia for the winter season. However, in recent years, a few more adventurous sailors have started to discover the joys of off-peak yacht charters. If you decide against following the herd this year, there are a number of valuable benefits you can look forward to during your off-peak charter, as we discuss below.
The Benefits of Chartering a Yacht Off Peak: What Do You Stand to Gain?
Many people we have spoken to believe the benefits of off-peak sailing more than outweigh the perceived advantages of following established charter patterns. While you may miss out on a few crowded parties and chaotic festivals, there are some key benefits you will enjoy if you decide to charter a yacht off-peak:
- Well-Rested Crew – During times of peak demand, yachting crew members have little time to rest and recharge their batteries. While they will always be willing to do their very best and can be expected to perform professionally at all times of the year, there are certain periods when they may be under far more pressure than others. If you like the idea of a fully rested and eager crew, chartering a yacht off-peak is an excellent way to ensure this will be the case on your next trip. The pre-peak shoulder season is the perfect time to sail if you want to enjoy the freshest crew possible.
- More Wildlife Spotting Opportunities – If you enjoy observing wild creatures in their natural habitats, an off-peak yacht charter is definitely something you should seriously consider. In addition to the fact that some of the best wildlife spotting opportunities occur during off-season periods due to marine migration habits, the less crowded waters also help. With fewer boats on the water and fewer people, more timid marine species are often much easier to spot on an off-peak yacht charter. Whale sharks in Belize are a good example of an off-peak wildlife spotting opportunity. For the best chance of seeing them, you should be cruising in the local waters during the months of April and May, when most yachting enthusiasts are finalising their plans to head for the Mediterranean if they haven’t already departed.
- Less Crowded Beaches – Whether you are sailing in the Caribbean, Mediterranean, or the tropical seas of Southeast Asia, there will always be many opportunities to spend time on local beaches, soaking up some rays and letting everyday concerns fade from memory. However, during the busiest times of year, the best beaches often become rather crowded, which is not to everyone’s liking. If you enjoy spending time on empty beaches and deepening your tan in sunlit seclusion, chartering a yacht off-peak could be the perfect option for you and your sailing companions this year.
- The Chance to Experience Different Local Events – Whilst many of the most popular festivals and events are indeed held during peak season times (for obvious reasons), several local events can only be enjoyed during off-peak times. On the French Riviera, for example, both the annual yacht show in Monaco and the Cannes Yachting Festival take place in September, when many people are already exploring the warm, early autumnal waters of the Caribbean. If you would like to find out what the locals get up to when you’re not around, an off-peak charter will allow you to satisfy your curiosity at the same time as enjoying some genuinely novel experiences.
- More Vessels From Which to Choose – One of the more obvious advantages of off-peak yacht charters is that there are more vessels from which to choose. Whether you are looking for a speedy catamaran or an opulent and luxurious superyacht, you will find more options available during off-peak times. Whether this is an important factor for you to consider will depend on the type of vessels you normally charter. If you often find yourself disappointed at the lack of choice during the busiest times of the year in each part of the world, it is likely that your preferences are quite similar to those of your fellow yachting enthusiasts. In this case, off-peak charters could be an appealing option to consider.
- Better Value for Money – Lower demand is reflected in the lower prices found during quieter times of the year. The difference between high-season and low-season yacht charter rates can be substantial, making off-peak trips a very enticing alternative. If you like the idea of getting away from it all for less this year, check out the off-peak deals to be found in Southeast Asia, the Mediterranean and the Caribbean. You may well discover that you can take a significantly longer trip thanks to the savings on offer.
- A More Relaxing Atmosphere, Wherever You Go – It’s not just the beaches that are less crowded during off-peak times of the year: almost everywhere you go, you will find a more relaxed, laid-back atmosphere. If you thrive in bustling environments and love large crowds, low-season sailing could be a bad idea, but if you enjoy eating in uncrowded restaurants, sunbathing alone on pristine, sugar-white sands and sailing in splendid isolation, we recommend taking a closer look at off-peak yacht charters.
- Opportunity to Expand Your Social Network – If you always sail in the same waters at the same time of year, you are likely to bump into the same people, time and time again. This can be an advantage of course: getting together with old friends is one of the things that makes sailing during high season such an enjoyable experience. However, if you would like to meet new people on your travels, consider taking an off-peak trip this year.
- The Chance to Sharpen Your Sailing and Weather Forecasting Skills – If you are an active sailor, an off-peak yacht charter will give you the chance to sharpen your meteorological and sailing skills. Different weather patterns present new challenges for sailors of all levels of experience.
- A Refreshing Change – Perhaps the most valuable benefit of chartering a yacht off-peak is the refreshing change of pace. We may sometimes be guilty of spending too much time trying to repeat enjoyable experiences, a habit which, although quite understandable, can prevent us from discovering new delights.
With all of these benefits on offer, chartering a yacht off-peak could be one of the best decisions you ever make. For more details, please feel free to contact us by clicking here. As a well-established broker and reputable yachting services provider, we can organise a luxury yacht charter for you at any time of the year. We would also be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about yacht charters in general or about off-peak charters in particular.