5 Things you should know about Malaysia Day
If you are on a sailing holiday in Malaysia, then it won’t have escaped your attention that 16th September is Malaysia Day!
- Malaysia Day is held on the 16th September every year.
- It commemorates the beginning of the federation of Malaysia which was agreed on this date in 1963.
- Malaya, North Borneo, Sarawak and Singapore all joined together to create the new Malaysia.
- The new federation was planned to begin on the 1st June, but was held up due to objections from neighbouring countries Indonesia and the Philippines.
- Since 2010, Malaysia Day is now a public holiday.